34. Part 5 - Codes and Protocols (Cover Page) PDF 10 KB
16 Members' Code of Conduct PDF 81 KB
(Monitoring Officer) Arising from the discussion on the previous item, members are invited to review the existing Code and Conduct.
The Committee gave initial consideration to a review of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
(1) That the Code of Conduct be revised in order to clarify the distinction between, and requirements in relation to, disclosable pecuniary interests, other pecuniary interests and non-pecuniary interests;
(2) That as part of the Introduction and Interpretation Section of the Code, reference be made to the availability to members of advice from the Monitoring Officer and her staff on possible interests and on the way in which that advice should be sought;
(3) That the Monitoring Officer seek the views of the following on possible revisions to the Code of Conduct:
(a) all District Councillors;
(b) Independent Persons;
(c) parish and town councils in the District which have adopted the Code of Conduct developed by the Public Law Partnership;
(d) the public via the Council’s website;
(4) That the Public Law Partnership be consulted on possible revisions to the Code of Conduct; and
(5) That the Monitoring Officer submit to the next meeting of this Committee a report on the outcome of the consultation exercise and a proposed revised Members’ Code of Conduct for consideration and recommendation to the District Council for adoption.