Venue: Virtual Meeting on Zoom. View directions
Contact: R. Perrin Tel: (01992) 564243 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. This virtual meeting is to be webcast. Members are reminded of the need to unmute
2. The Chairman will read the following announcement:
“I would like to remind everyone present that this meeting will be broadcast live to the internet (or filmed) and will be capable of repeated viewing (or another use by such third parties).
Therefore, by participating in this virtual meeting, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings for webcasting and/or training purposes. If members of the public do not wish to have their image captured, they should ensure that their video setting throughout the virtual meeting is turned off and set to audio only.
In the event that technical difficulties interrupt the virtual meeting that cannot be overcome, the Chairman may need to adjourn the meeting”.
The Chairman reminded everyone present that the meeting would be broadcast live to the Internet, and that the Council had adopted a protocol for the webcasting of its meetings.
Appointment of Chairman & Vice-Chairman
(1) To confirm the appointment of District Councillor H Kane as the Chairman of the Committee for the municipal year; and
(2) To confirm the appointment of Councillor C C Pond as Vice-Chairman of the Committee for the municipal year, as he is the Essex Association of Local Councils Epping Forest Branch Chairman.
(1) It was confirmed the District Councillor H Kane was the Chairman of the Committee for this municipal year; and
(2) Councillor C C Pond was appointed the Vice-Chairman of the Committee for this municipal year.
Local Plan: Main Modifications PDF 65 KB
To update the Committee on the Local Plan.
Following the hearing sessions for the Independent Examination of the Local Plan, the Inspector in her subsequent advice on 02 August 2019, set out a number of actions which needed to be addressed in the form of Main Modifications to the Local Plan. This work is nearing completion and the Council is presently aiming to commence consultation on the Main Modifications in the week commencing 05 July. Subject to the Inspector’s approval, the consultation period will run all the way into mid-September.
The Committee received an update on the Local Plan from the Interim Planning Policy Manager Natalie Blaken and the Planning Policy Team Manager, Vicki Willis with regards to the next steps for the Main Modifications(MM’s) consultation. (Presentation attached).
The Committee asked the following questions:
· Would Parish and Town Councils be able to have hard copies of the Consultation documents? The Planning Services Director, Mr Richardson advised that a hard copy would be supplied to Town and Parish Council, if requested.
· Could a copy of the presentation be emailed to the relevant Town and Parish Councils? The Planning Services Director advised that this would be actioned.
· Could a correction be made to the Green Infrastructure Policy? The Planning Policy Manager advised that the Green Infrastructure Policy formed part of supporting documentation for the consultation and the Cabinet had already agreed the Strategy in April 2021, subject to liaison with the Woodland Trust. Although, because the final amendments had not yet been made, it may be beneficial if the comments were emailed to the Planning Policy Team.
The Interim Planning Policy Manager advised that this raised an important issue of how people should respond to the consultation, to ensure that comments on the MM’s were made clearly and separately to corrections to the strategy.
The Planning Services Director advised that the delay to the MM’s consultation had been due to the continual dialogue between the Council and the Inspector in regards to the 39 Actions and responses given. It was hoped that the consultation would be started within the next two weeks although the date could not be confirmed. It was noted that if the consultation started before the public re-opening of the Reception area, hard copies of the documents could be viewed by appointment at the Civic Offices.
That the presentation be shared with the Committee by email and included with the minutes of the meeting.
Community Interest Company Consultation - Qualis PDF 82 KB
To gather the views of Parish and Town Councils in relation to the development of Qualis Community Interest Company and delivery plan for its first 2 years of activity.
The Committee received a presentation (attached) from Primera Corporation representatives Ruth Dawson and Austin Casey on the Community Interest Company (CIC) which had been commissioned in March 2021 by the Qualis Group. This included a consultation, the next steps and timeframe for delivery.
The Committee asked the following questions;
· What was meant by the term ’15 minute city’? Mr Casey advised that it was a concept which meant that residents could meet most of their needs within a short walk or bicycle ride 15 minutes from their homes, promoting a healthy lifestyle and supporting local independent businesses.
· Who had initially been consulted? Mr Casey advised that they had consulted Qualis and the Service Directors within EFDC. The more general consultation had been hampered by the Covid restrictions and local elections, although they were now reaching out to local Town and Parish Councils, EFYC and other local groups and organisations. The link to the consultation had been included in the presentation and would be emailed out to Parish and Town Clerks.
· How does CIC work? Ms Duston advised that the CIC was there to provide opportunities over and above what the Council already delivered. For example there would be significate opportunities generated through Qualis building projects which could create apprenticeships and training programmes. The CIC would initially focus on the three emerging strategic themes set out in the presentation.
Mr Hewitt clarified that services which had been already transferred to Qualis were a completely independent from the CIC. The CIC was entirely focused on community benefits.
· A member of the Committee raised concerns regarding the Risk Management of Qualis. Mr Hewitt advised that the purpose of Qualis attending the meeting was to discuss the CIC. Qualis’ four year business plan had been considered by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 1 July 2021 and the would be considered by the Cabinet on 12 July 2021.
· How wide ranging would the CIC be? Ms Duston advised that the CIC was currently conceptual ideas of what could delivered. The consultation would allow the CIC to consider what key deliverables the community wanted and that could be self-funded with the opportunity for the CIC to expand in the future.
· How many people would be employed to develop the CIC? Mr Hewitt advised that all resources were already within the Qualis Group and currently no one would be employed by the CIC.
· What was meant by enhanced skills? Mr Hewitt advised that skills from within the Qualis Group would be used to enhance the development of the CIC.
That the consultation included with the presentation was emailed the Committee representatives.
Dates of Future Meetings
To note that the next meeting of the Committee will be held on 27 September 2021 at 7.00pm.
It was noted that the next meeting of the Committee would be held on 27 September 2021.