Agenda and minutes

Epping Forest Youth Council
Tuesday, 11th December, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Offices, High Street, Epping

Contact: P Dunley Tel: (01992) 564532  Email: Tel: 01992 564532

No. Item


Confirmation of Chairman & Vice-Chairman

At the last meeting it was agreed that Suzannah would chair this meeting. Arjun  would be Vice-Chairman.



It was noted that Arjun would be the Chairman and Megan would be Vice-Chairman for this meeting.


Apologies for Absence



That the minutes of the meeting held on 6th November 2018 were a correct record and all post was received.


Minutes pdf icon PDF 97 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting of the Youth Council are correct.




That the minutes of the meeting held on [Day Month Year] be taken as read and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.


Active Living

Ezra Folan attending to discuss Active Living with the Youth Council.


This item would be considered at the January meeting.


Guest Speaker - Della Tudisca CRY - Cardiac Risk in the Young


Della gave a short presentation raising awareness of a charity called CRY -  Cardiac Risk in the Young.


Councillor Wixley suggested ways to raise the profile of CRY in Loughton.


ACTION: Youth Councillors to come up with ways to support the charity.




Drugs Report

To finalise the drug report.


The Epping Forest Youth Council drugs report had been completed and was currently with the printer and would be distributed to the interested parties before Christmas.


The Youth Councillors thanked Abi for her hard work on the drug report.


ACTION: Di would find out if drugs report could be published on the website.



Project Updates

Youth Councillors to update on projects.


The next project was a Street Survival guide for young people in our District, the purpose of the guide was to educate young people about safety and to reduce the number of victims of crime. Street Survivor would include tips on smart thinking, and how to be street smart, this would be made up of 5 short YouTube films that would be short but powerful. Script writing would start in January, Filming in February and the films would be launched at a special viewing for Members and guests at the Civic Offices in March.

It follows our Milife model on the community team’s newest project for year 9’s #consequences. It would promote being resilient and encouraging young people to be smart thinking and making smart choices.

The project was broken into 3 sub-groups … Youth Activity map, Research group, & the Marketing & Design group.

The sub-group’s feedback about their work.

Youth Activity map – Arjun and Barnaby’s group updated the group on a number of Youth Projects they would like added and Arjun had reviewed clubs that were no longer active on the existing map.

Di asked Youth Councillors to visit their local youth groups to ensure they were on the map. All Youth Councilors should send the youth groups details, name, address, contact number to Paula by Monday 17 December for a 21 December deadline.

Research group – The group has been looking at existing website and had a list of design ideas to send onto the Marketing and Design group. 

Marketing & Design group – Annabelle, Oliver, Megan, James, Tallulah, Archie, Eleanor, Onyeka, Simran presented ideas for making the project interactive, traffic lights for situations.

Action: Youth Council voted for pens (scroll pens specifically) to be used for merchandise. 

Action: Design group to produce a logo or brand for the survival guide by the 21 December.

Action: Map Group to send Paula the club updates that they had researched by Monday 17th December.  Details of contact information such as address, email, telephone no., twitter, Facebook.

Action: Youth Councillors to visit local Youth projects and take photo for the interactive map.  Send photos to Paula on the WhatsApp page.


Youth Councillor Updates

Youth Councillors to report on school issues, achievements, events and training that they have accomplished since the last meeting.


Youth Councillors updated each other on the youth council work in school, including school display updates and suggestion boxes.      

               Braeside – No representative present.

               Chigwell - Jyoti and Abi updated members on the school council. The school had also started to introduce destress classes for a free period.       

               Davenant - Onyeka, Eleanor, Archie, Barnaby had attended school council meeting, talking about values and presented these to a school assembly. The ballot for Young Essex Assembly had taken place and the Christmas concerts were taking place and Friday was the Christmas Jumper day.           

               Debden Park High - No representative present

               Epping St Johns - Stan, James, Megan and Oliver advised that the school  council had been meeting regularly and a meeting with Head teacher had been arranged to discuss concerns.  Fundraising events were taking place for dementia charity.  The school was also starting de-stress sessions and the Christmas concerts were taking place.   

               Ongar – Harriette and Oliver. The school council met with the Head teacher present and a decision was taken to change the school day.  School concerts and Christmas Jumper days were also taking place.     

               Roding Valley High - Jasmine, Daniel, Florence and Zak. A new house system was in place and they were raising funds per house in donation boxes.  Florence was going to raise the issue of exam stress.  Years 9, 10 and 11 had exam week and they had taken part in Save the Children Christmas Jumper day.          

               West Hatch – Arjun advised that the Elf productions was showing. They had taken part in Christmas Jumper day and mock results would be released next week.


Youth Council Constitution pdf icon PDF 93 KB

To formally agreed the attached Youth Council Constitution.


The Youth Council Constitution was discussed.



Di to report.


The Youth Council Manifesto was discussed.


Voting and the New Youth

Arjun would be making a short presentation on voting and young people.


Arjun gave a presentation about raising the profile of voting.


Event Feedback

Youth Councillors to feedback on any events that they have attended in relation to the Youth Council since the last meeting.


Feedback would be given at the January meeting.


Chairman's Charity

Youth Councillors to discuss fundraising ideas and identify group(s) to support.


The Chairman of the Council, Councillor R. Bassett would like suggestions for his charity.


ACTION: The Youth Councillors took a vote and were in favour of supporting Cry #Isi.  This charity would be put forward to the Chairman.


ACTION: To send in ideas for fundraising at your schools.


Youth Council Cup

To present the Youth Council Cup.


The Youth Council Cup Winner would be announced at the next meeting.


Submission forms

To consider any new submission forms received and to give updates on any previous submission form.


There were no submission forms to consider at this meeting.


Any Other Business

(a)          Notices by Diane;

(b)          Notices by Paula;

(c)          Any other Notices; and

(d)          Youth Councillor Notices.


Paperless Agenda’s - The Youth Council agenda’s and minutes would be going paperless,  leading the way to cut down on paper, save trees and reduce postage costs for the Council.


All agendas and minutes for Youth Council meetings would be electronically sent and they can be download to smart phones and tablets.


ACTION: Youth Councillors to feedback on solutions and/or foreseeable problems of this decision.



Date of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8 January at 19.00 – 21.00 at the Civic Offices.


To note that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8th January 2019 at 19.00 – 21.00 at the Civic Offices.