Venue: Council Chamber - Civic Offices
Contact: V. Messenger Tel: (01992) 564243 Email: email@example.com
Appointment of Chairman & Vice-Chairman
(1) To confirm the appointment of District Councillor R Bassett as the Chairman of the Committee for the municipal year; and
(2) To appoint a Vice-Chairman of the Committee for the municipal year.
This meeting is to be webcast. Members are reminded of the need to activate their microphones before speaking. The Chairman will read the following webcasting announcement:
"I would like to remind everyone present that this meeting will be broadcast live to the Internet and will be capable of repeated viewing and copies of the recording could be made available for those that request it.
If you are seated in the lower public seating area it is likely that the recording cameras will capture your image and this will result in the possibility that your image will become part of the broadcast.
This may infringe your human and data protection rights and if any member of the public wishes to avoid this they should move to the upper public gallery".
Apologies for Absence
To report any apologies for absence for the meeting.
Members, county councillors, and town/parish council representatives are reminded to sign the attendance register, in order to ensure that the minutes of the meeting accurately reflect attendance.
To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 11 March 2019 and any matters arising therefrom.
Issues Raised by Local Councils
To discuss the following matters raised by the local councils.
(a) Street lighting (Min no 16 (f) – 11 March 2019)
To receive a verbal update from the Council’s Service Director (Contracts and Technical Services).
(b) Electric vehicle charging
To consider electric vehicle charging and responsibility for future Council and commercial provision.
To discuss Essex County Council’s (ECC) “Essex Future Library Services Strategy: 2019-2024”. The document can be viewed at the following link:
This will likely affect a number of local councils within the Epping Forest District.
North Weald Parish Council has the following general concerns:
(1) The sum of money allocated, £18,000, is to be spread over five years with funding available over three years. Will there be any dispensation from Epping Forest District Council regarding rateable value for library buildings when run by groups who are not actually Essex County Council and are relying on the £18,000 to run the library?
(2) The amount of time it is taking to get information from ECC on how this will affect those groups / organisations who have placed ‘Expressions of Interest’.
(3) The continuing recruitment of volunteers, in communities where volunteers are not that easy to ‘get on board’. How does ECC expect there to be a continuing string of volunteers?
(d) Unauthorised traveller encampments
Whilst Loughton Town Council has received great support and advice from Epping Forest District Council, the individual parish / town councils must operate on a standalone basis to remove unauthorised encampments which can be expensive in seeking the appropriate legal advice and also weighs heavily on officers’ time and resources. This has proved costly for the Town Council in the past.
The Town Council is aware that the ECC Essex Countrywide Traveller Unit (ECTU) provides a comprehensive service to move on unauthorised encampments and charges a modest sum to each District Council, which then covers every town / parish council within that particular district. This removes the costs and pressure on individual councils.
Apparently only Harlow, Southend and Epping Forest District Councils refrain from using this service.
Loughton Town Council has the following questions:
1. Why is this historically the case?
2. Would the District Council reconsider using the ECTU service, given the economies of scale that this service would bring and also the potential benefit to town and parish councils alike?
(Epping Forest District Council) To consider and agree the draft Terms of Reference (attached) for this Committee.
Epping Forest District Local Plan - Progress
(Epping Forest District Council) To receive a verbal report on the current position of the new Local Plan for the Epping Forest District.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Date of Future Meeting
To note that the next meeting of the Committee will be held on 16 March 2020 at 7.30pm.