Agenda and minutes

Epping Forest Youth Council
Tuesday, 1st March, 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Civic Offices. View directions

Contact: R Perrin Tel: (01992) 564532  Email:  democraticservices@eppingforestdc.gov.uk Tel: 01992 564532

Items
No. Item

209.

Confirmation of Chairman and Vice Chairman for the meeting

At the last meeting it was agreed that Leonora would chair this meeting. Nathan would be Vice-Chairman.

 

Minutes:

Noted that Leonora would be the Chairman for the meeting and Evie was the Vice-Chairman.

210.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 100 KB

To confirm the minutes of the last meeting of the Youth Council are correct.

Minutes:

            RESOLVED:

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 9 February 2016 be taken as a correct record.

211.

Speaker Lynn Sheldrick - Woodcraft Folk, Waltham Abbey

Lynn Sheldrick to give a short introduction to Woodcraft Folk.

 

Minutes:

Lynn Sheldrick attended the meeting with four members of the Waltham Abbey, Woodcraft Folk. The members gave a short presentation and Lynn provided some background information.

 

The Woodcraft Folk were a group that had broke away from the Scouting movement back in 1924/25, who included all ages, open to both boys and girls and  encouraged  young people who lived in big cities to go camping and explore the great outdoors. The group in Waltham Abbey met every week and were involved in activities which  included maintaining an allotment, volunteering as stewards at festivals and attending international summer camps. They regularly met up with other London Boroughs groups and gave free leadership training to volunteers who would like to become members.

 

Lynn asked that the Waltham Abbey Woodcraft Folk be included in the updated Tube Map of youth activities.

 

Officers advised that the District Council had a small grants scheme that the organisation would be able to apply for and Louis would email the details.

 

ACTION: Louis to email the details of the Small Grants to the Waltham Abbey Woodcraft Folk Group.

212.

Speaker Charlotte Terry Haven House Children's Hospice

Matt Charlton from Haven House to give a short introduction.

Minutes:

Charlotte Terry from Haven House Children’s Hospice attended, to explain about the services and facilities available at Haven House.

 

The Hospice was opened in 2003, to provided care to life-limited children from birth to 19 years old and their families at no cost. The hospice provided residential and community services, respite and end-of-life care across North and North East London, West Essex and East Hertfordshire.

 

The hospice delivered play activities as well as day and overnight stays, access to a range of therapies, including music therapy, physiotherapy and therapeutic yoga, support groups for mums and dads and siblings (Buddies) as well as complementary therapies designed to reduce stress and anxiety. Also in the grounds was a fully accessible specialist play area and tranquil sensory garden surrounded by many acres of beautiful woodland.

 

Charlotte advised that volunteers were welcome but they needed to be 16 years old and the Youth Councillors that were unable to volunteer because of their age could just help to raise awareness of the hospice and what it could offer to peers and parents that may not know of the facilities available.

 

Di advised that Matt Charlton had arranged for a visit to the Hospice for Youth Councillors on Tuesday 29 March 2016 at 11 a.m.

213.

Project Groups

(a)          Tube map

 

To update on progress.

 

(b)          Wellbeing and Mental Health

 

To update on progress.

Minutes:

(a)        Tube Map

 

Louis advised that they were awaiting the artwork and proofs of the updated tube map and when this had been received, he would forward a copy onto the Members for comments.

 

ACTION: Louis to add the Woodcraft Folk to the tube map.

 

(b)        Wellbeing and Mental Health

 

Di advised that she had met with Luke Lowrie from the Red Balloon Family, who had been delivering workshops on Mental Health in schools. Julie and Joe advised that the training had been for year 7 pupils only at Davenant.

 

Di also informed Members that she had met up with Dr Ben Smith from North East London (NHS) Foundation Trust (NELFT), to look at incorporating them in with the project. Dr Smith had been invited to meet the Youth Councillors to discuss the issues. Useful website links had been posted on EFYC Facebook page, to encourage further discussion on this topic.

 

Ideas considered for this project involved training for Youth Councillors and other students in schools on Emotional Health and wellbeing and an interactive app such as a Mental Health First Aid box and depending on the question asked, different solutions were suggested.

 

ACTION: Di to arrange a meeting with Dr Smith.

 

214.

Event Feedback

Youth Councillors to report on any events attended since the last meeting.

Minutes:

(a)        Volunteering Day

 

Joe advised that Members had attended a volunteering day with the City of London called the Nightingale Project, which opened up grassland by cutting down trees and brambles. He had advised that everyone had a really good time and they had venison burgers for lunch, with the group clearing 5 tonnes of green waste.  

 

(b)        7th Epping Forest (St Edmunds) Loughton Scout Presentation

 

Doncho advised that Evie, Matthew and Joe and himself had attended the Scout group to give a presentation about the Youth Council and democracy.

 

Di advised that they had a waiting list for their group and that all the scouts who attended the meeting achieved their World Challenge Badge.

 

(c)        Loughton Town Council Civic Awards

 

Matthew advised that he attended the Loughton Civic Awards, where he participate in the event. The Chairman of EFDC attended alongside the Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Wellbeing and Ward member for Loughton Roding. Adam Taylor from Chigwell Row was presented with Young Citizen Award for his volunteering work in the Community.

 

(d)        Lions Clubs International Finals

 

Evie advised that she had attended the national awards in Dudley, West Midlands as a regional finalist for a £1000 funding opportunity for the Loughton Youth Centre. The finals were held over three days with serval interviews taking place. The Loughton Youth Centre was awarded £500 towards the project.

 

Di thanked Evie for her commitment and achievement in gaining the funding at such a busy period in her exams.  

215.

School Update

Youth Councillors to report.

Minutes:

Di welcomed Charlotte from West Hatch, she would be joining Davin as a co-opted Member until the elections in November 2016. 

 

There were no updates from the schools. Members advised that the display boards required updating and in some cases replacing or redoing.

 

Louis advised that any members who wished to create their display boards could use the facilities at Hemnall Street and he would supply the equipment.

 

Di advised that the schools would not be pursued for temporary members as the Elections would take priority.

216.

Youth Essex Assembly

Matthew/Tom to report.

Minutes:

Matthew had nothing to report. The next meeting was on Saturday 5 March 2016.

217.

Youth Parliament

Matthew to report.

Minutes:

Matthew advised that he would be attending a leadership workshop on the residential arranged for YP Members in April. He was happy to provide training to other members afterwards.

218.

Submission forms

To consider any new submission forms received and to give updates on any previous submission form.

Minutes:

There were no submission forms.

219.

Business for next meeting

(i)                  To agree a Chairman for the next meeting; and

(ii)                Members to raise items of business for consideration at the next meeting.

Minutes:

There would be no formal meetings taking place until after the exam period. All meetings would be held at Hemnall Street and would be advised by Di and Louis. They would be project  work based.   

220.

Any Other Business

(a)          Notices by Diane;

(b)          Notices by Louis;

(c)          Any other Notices; and

(d)          Youth Councillor Notices.

Minutes:

(a)        Notices by Louis

 

·                     Haven House Visit – Tuesday 29 March 2016 at 11 am. Please advise Louis or Di, if you require transport.

 

·                     Overview and Scrutiny Meeting – Tuesday 19 April 2016 at 7.30 pm all Youth Councillors required to attend in uniform.

 

·                     Houses of Parliament – This visit would be rearranged in May 2016.

 

(b)        Notices by Di

 

·                     Prevent Assemblies – Had been arranged to raise awareness of extremism and would take place at Roding Valley on 5 May 2016 and were to be confirmed at West Hatch and Epping St John’s shortly.

 

·                     Overview and Scrutiny Presentation – Joe, Jaymey, Matthew, Doncho and Leonora had agreed to present the Youth Council’s outcomes from the previous year, to O&S on 19 April 2016. A rehearsal dated needed to be confirmed.

 

ACTION: Joe, Jaymey, Matthew, Doncho and Leonora to contact Di with dates available.

 

·                     Elections details -

 

Dates

Activity

Mon 12 Sept – Thurs 13 Oct 2016

Promo assemblies in schools/ youth groups/College

Fri 14 Oct 2016 

Closing date for nominations

Mon 31 Oct – Fri 11 Nov 2016

Elections in schools

Mon 14 – 18 Nov 2016

Formal announcement of election results

21 Nov – 2 Dec 2016

Various induction sessions for new cohort

Tues 6 Dec2016         

First official EFYC Full Council meeting

 

·                     Youth Councillors remaining – Jaymey, Matthew, Leonora, Chloe, Adam, Joe, Hazel, Ashwin, Davin, Charlotte, Nathan, Julie, Tom and Fatemeh would continue until 6 December 2016 and Doncho until July.

 

(c)        Notices by Youth Councillors

 

·                     Waltham Abbey Town Council -  Chloe had contacted Waltham Abbey Town Council to obtain some work experience with journalism and politics. She advised that hopefully she would become a link between the Youth Council and the Town Council.

221.

Farewell and Presentation

Minutes:

Di advised that this was officially the cohort’s last meeting and some of the Youth Councillors would be leaving to concentrate on their exams.

 

Imogen, Olivia, Malachi, Lucy, George, Evie and Rory would be officially leaving and Di thanked them all for their service to the Youth Council in the last 2 years. In particular to Imogen, who had served for 4 years. Jaymey had decided to remain a co-opted Member and would now be entering his fifth year and become the longest serving Youth Councillor.

 

Both Louis and Gill congratulated the Youth Councillors on their term of service and how they had enjoyed working with the co-hort. Gill especially thanked the Members for helping to save the Youth Council for other young people in the District to enjoy and service.

 

Di stated that all the Members had done a phenomenal job, giving the young people a voice in the District. There would be a farewell social for everyone in March.

 

Gill presented the Youth Councillors with their service certificates.

222.

Date(s) for next meeting(s)

To note that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5 April 2016 at 19.00 – 21.00 at the Civic Offices.

Minutes:

The next meeting would be held on Tuesday 12 July 2016 at 19.00 – 21.00 at the Civic Offices.